04 Dec 5 Ways To Make This Christmas The Season Of Giving
It can be so easy at Christmas to get distracted by all the things we want to get done, and how we want it to turn out. Before we realise it, we’re swept away with our own concerns and forget about the real meaning of the season – giving. So here are five small ways you can bring back giving this Christmas.
1. Pick up some extra pet food or kitty litter and donate it to your local animal hospital. They’ll also love to take your old towels and sheets for bedding. Your kids will love to help you out with this Christmas generosity – they might also get to snuggle a puppy or two!
2. Donate non-perishable food items to supermarket food drives like Foodbank. This Christmas, Foodbank have teamed up with Queensland’s Retail First shopping centres and All Purpose Transport to collect a staggering 40 tonnes of food donations. For struggling families at Christmas these small acts of generosity make a huge difference.
3. Take your kids shopping to pick out gifts to donate to your local family shelter. Encouraging your kids to think of other people in need instead of what they want for Christmas is a great way to encourage generosity and kindness.
4. Register as a blood donor and book in your next 2 donations. Just one donation can go on to help save the lives of at least three people.
Fun fact: It only takes three teaspoons to save a baby’s life!
5. Contact a local retirement village and see if any residents will be alone on Christmas. You can visit them on Christmas day with your family, or even invite someone to your home to share your Christmas lunch with you.
This article is sponsored by Retail First.
Photography by Ben White