Right now, around two-thirds of Canberra adults and more than one in four kids aged 5 to 17 are overweight or obese – that’s where Good Habits for Life can help.
By registering on the Good Habits for Life website, families get a free tailored program, with information and resources on how to live a healthier lifestyle. The website is also packed full of links to other programs to help you, along with tips, healthy recipes, challenges and local events.
The great thing about the campaign is that it isn’t asking for a complete life overhaul; it focuses on all those little things you can do with your family to make some changes to a healthier lifestyle while still making a real difference.
And the best part? It’s completely free!
Here are 7 healthy living tips to get you started:
1. Make a goal to get the family active every day! If you currently do no physical activity, start with 10 minutes per day and build from there.*
2. Get your kids involved in the garden. Kids love getting dirty, and can help with tasks like digging holes for plants, carrying watering cans or raking leaves.
3. Get the whole family stuck into fun activities that strengthen their muscles, like playing tug-o-war and swinging on monkey bars.
4. When you head out, make sure you take a full water bottle from home. It will keep you and your kids hydrated, as well as saving you money.
5. Don’t let a rainy day spoil your fun! Move it indoors with a dance competition, play games with balloons, or head to your local indoor swimming pool.
6. Try a regular ‘no screen time’ each week. Start with an afternoon or night of no TV, gaming or anything screen-related. Then build up to a whole day.
7. Get each of your kids to take turns as 'table captain' for the week. As a 'table captain', they set the table, take the family's meals from the kitchen to the table, and clear the table (depending on their age of course!).
Visit www.act.gov.au/goodhabitsforlife to register today and discover more healthy living tips for your family.
ACT Health run a range of programs to support you and your children to set good habits, such as Fresh Tastes: healthy food at school and Ride or Walk to School. Check out these programs here.
*Physical activity is encouraged in infants (birth to one year) particularly in supervised floor-based play in safe environments. Toddlers and pre-schoolers (1 to 5 years) should be physically active every day for at least three hours, throughout the day and children aged 5 to 12 years should do at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity every day. Adults are recommended to do 3.75 hours of moderate and vigorous physical activity per week.
This post was sponsored by ACT Health.