Where There's a Will, There's a Way

Parenting often comes in stages, but no matter which phase you’re in, the fact is your children will always need you in some capacity. Your responsibilities are a never-ending checklist of ‘don’t let them ride without a helmet’, ‘make sure all the food is cut up into kid-friendly pieces’ and ‘how much is too much screen-time’. All these small, but super-important considerations eventually become ‘the raising of your children’.

A part of parenting that many of us rarely think about is the creation of a legal will. Perhaps because the prospect of creating a will is daunting; it’s undeniably uncomfortable to make those sorts of life decisions. Others believe ‘it’s too complex (where do I start?)’, or that only wealthy people need one, but according to State Trustees’ CEO, Craig Dent, the best way to protect your child’s future is to appoint a guardian and have your wishes clearly stated in a legal Will.

“It can be daunting as a parent to think about what would happen if you weren’t around, especially in the lead-up to having your first child,” said Mr Dent.

“In the excitement of a new addition to your family, it can be easy to put off a simple step that may have a profound impact on your child’s life. State Trustees research shows that a staggering 55 percent of Australian parents with children under the age of 18 do not have a Will. Of those that do have a Will, nearly half have not nominated a guardian for their children.”

If you’re taking the first steps to creating a will, State Trustees offer Legal Will Kits to help you prepare. It’s a convenient solution if you’re circumstances are simple and straightforward. The kit includes step-by-step instructions, simple explanations of important aspects like choosing your beneficiaries, checklists, templates of sample wills and the will in the kit can be treated as a legitimate one.

If you live in Victoria and need further assistance you can contact State Trustees on (03) 9667 6444, or 1300 138 672 from outside Melbourne, or you can register for a face-to-face appointment to write your will with a will writing professional using their online booking form, statetrustees.com.au

If you live outside Victoria, you can contact your local public trustee office, relevant websites found here, statetrustees.com.au

This is a sponsored post by State Trustees



Related Articles


Login to comment


NewsLetterFLag News Letter Stamper

Oops, you forgot your name

Oops, you forgot your email address

Oops,your email address is not correct


Latest Magazine