26 Mar 14 sites with great free art and culture
This isn’t to say the availability of “on demand” cultural content isn’t a good thing reports Lecturer, The University of Queensland. At “normal” times it can allow people to virtually visit exhibitions or enjoy performances they can’t access in real life. Online presentations can enhance understanding with “explore more” links or additional information.
During times of crisis, online cultural experiences can be a lifeline for both art audiences and creators. It is vital that we create avenues through which the community can access culture and seek out technological solutions to keep artists and cultural workers employed during what could be a long hiatus.
14 plus art & culture links
- Australian Book Industry Awards will be awarded online, as will the Stella Prize for female authors.
- The Hermitage, St Petersburg, Russia
- Together in Art program Art Gallery of NSW
- Born to Boogie Dance Connection is hosting a much-needed online groove this week.
- Club Quarantine is where DJ D-Nice or Derrick Jones from 90s hip-hop group Boogie Down Productions is spinning tracks for 100,000+ viewers. Guest appearances include Michelle Obama, Naomi Campbell, Chaka Khan, Halle Berry, Rihanna, and Diddy.
- Europeana Collections the largest aggregator of digital cultural heritage in Europe.
- Google Art and Culture Explore collections from around the world, from the British Museum to Macchu Pichu.
- Guggenheim Museum Bilbao in Spain is the place for Mark Rothco, Jeff Koons and Richard Serra.
- Karaoke Camp uses Zoom to connect singers worldwide.
- Melbourne Museum has virtual tours of the Phar Lap, dinosaur and First Peoples displays.
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, South Korea is showing meet the curators chats on YouTube.
- Nowadays live music lounge in New York is streaming DJs online.
- Rijksmuseum is home to Dutch masters: Vermeer’s Milkmaid, Van Gogh’s Self-portrait and Rembrandt’s most well-known painting: the Night Watch.
- Social Distancing Festival is drawing live streaming performances together in one place.
- Zoo Victoria’s Animal House is livestreaming lions, giraffes, snow leopards cubs, penguins and the occasional dancing zoo keeper.