26 Dec 8 Low-cost ways to develop your child’s innate abilities
Posted at 12:29h
8 low-cost ways to identify and develop your child’s talents and abilities beyond the school gates:
- Praise your child for being a hard worker, to reinforce the idea that effort affects ability.
- Discuss the merits of one book or film over another to build up critical thinking and creative ability.
- Get out into the natural world to develop curiosity.
- Encourage children to stage performances for family and friends to promote group play, their ability to plan, interpersonal skills and creative pursuits. Better yet, take part yourself.
- Team sports – they don’t have to cost the earth, particularly if there are older siblings, cousins and friends to pass down uniforms and equipment.
- Attend public performances together. Childmags.com.au includes regular listings of what’s on and where.
- Go to an exhibition at a museum or gallery and let that inspire creative thought and play.
- Visit an aquarium or take a trip to the seashore to see what lives under the water and how.