11 Mar Donna Hay’s broccoli margherita pizzas
These broccoli margherita pizzas are a great stand by as you can pre-freeze the partly baked dough ready for those unexpected extra guests!
- 1 x quantity broccoli dough (see basic recipe here)
- 2/3cup (50g/13/4 oz) finely grated parmesan
- 300g (101/2 oz) cherry tomatoes, torn in half and squeezed to remove the seeds
- 1/4 cup (4g/1/4 oz) oregano leaves extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 x 125g (41/2 oz) fresh mozzarella balls, torn
- basil leaves, to serve finely grated parmesan, extra, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line 2 x 30cm (12 in)round oven trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Divide the dough in half and press onto each tray to make 2 x 28cm (11 in) round pizza bases. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm and slightly golden.
- Sprinkle the bases with parmesan and top with the tomatoes and oregano. Drizzle with a little oil. Return the pizzas to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden.
- Top warm pizzas with the mozzarella and sprinkle with basil and extra parmesan to serve. SERVES 4
Note: You can add your favourite toppings to this pizza, just avoid anything that might make the broccoli base turn soft (like tomato puree) – it’s best to stick to fresh tomatoes with the seeds and some of the juice squeezed out. Try sprinkling over pre-roasted pumpkin, eggplant (aubergine) or zucchini (courgette).
- To have these pizza bases on standby for busy days, bake them for the first 20 minutes, then cool, wrap and freeze for later use.
“Vegetables are at the forefront of nearly every recipe, with a few meat options thrown in, and there are lots of my all-time classics re-worked to include more goodness. This book is about using food to refuel and re-energise while nurturing ourselves with flavour. Super-fast meals to make you feel good.”
Available at all good book stores and online RRP$45.00