22 Feb Easter Nest Cupcakes
Award-winning pastry chef and Bulla brand ambassador, Kirsten Tibballs, has created these adorable Easter-inspired nest cupcakes. Get the kids to help you make these delicious lemon-infused cupcakes topped with tangy coconut icing.
For the cupcakes:
165g Plain Flour
1/2tsp Baking Powder
2 Lemons, zested
3 Whole Eggs
155g Brown Sugar
100ml Bulla Pure Cream
100ml Bulla Sour Cream
60g Unsalted Butter, melted
Oil Spray, for greasing
For the icing:
60g Shredded Coconut, toasted. (You can buy toasted coconut, or you can make it yourself by toasting shredded coconut in a 160°C oven for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool).
170g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 1⁄2 teaspoonFresh Lemon Zest
315g Icing Sugar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Bulla Pure Cream
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
36 Small Easter Eggs
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line a 12-hole muffin tray
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in the lemon zest and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and brown sugar until the mixture becomes foamy
- Combine the pure cream and sour cream in a bowl.
- Using a spatula, fold the sieved dry ingredients through the egg and sugar
mixture, followed by the combined cream. Melt the butter and fold it through.
- Divide the cake batter into the lined muffin tray. Bake at 170°C for 15 minutes.
- Set the cupcakes on a cooling rack to cool completely.
To Make The Icing
Combine the butter, lemon juice, zest and icing sugar in a bowl. Add in the pure cream and vanilla and stir. Spoon the frosting onto each of the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top of each cupcake and press it in slightly. Garnish with 3 mini Easter eggs per cupcake.
Kirsten Tibballs is one of Australia’s most celebrated and respected pastry chefs and chocolatiers. She teaches chocolate workshops at Melbourne’s Savour School and has authored numerous award-winning cookbooks.