09 Jun Easy plum and almond cake
Plum and almond cake
Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 30 Mins. Serves 6-8
8 to 10 plums
½ cup (125ml) milk
¼ cup (60g) butter melted
1 cup (100g) almond meal
½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Thick (double) cream, to serve.
This quick almond cake recipe is a great base for any kind of seasonal or preserved fruit, hence why I’ve snuck it in here!
- Preheat the oven to 1800C (3500F). Grease and line a 20-24 cm spring-form cake tin with baking paper.
- Have the plums, removing the stones, then slice them into quarters or eighths, depending on the size. Scatter the plums over the base of the cake tin.
- Add the eggs, milk and melted butter to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl, then pour in the egg mixture and mix until you have a smooth batter. Pour the batter over the plums and smooth the top.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through. Serve warm, with some lovely thick cream.
Around the Kitchen Table
by Sophie Hansen and Annie Herron, pub. Murdoch Books, pb. RRP$39.99
Written by food writer Sophie Hansen and her mum, art teacher Annie Herron, it celebrates the joy and sense of satisfaction that comes with preparing a simple meal to share, pencilling a sketch or making a jar of jam to give as a gift.